Sunday, September 21, 2008

We're all influenced by corporate giants

I don't know what the economic term is for what I'm trying to say - I just searched briefly on Wikipedia and have come up with nothing - but today, I played a part in the sad financial portrait of the common man when I bought a Dunkin Donuts coffee at Stop and Shop.

This was the first time I've done this, and I detest the idea that Dunkin' Donuts stores are proliferating like mushrooms in my backyard. There are Dunkin' Donuts stores, not only in Stop and Stop, but also in Home Depot. Not to mention D and D stores exist about every two miles, closer than that in some towns.

But I didn't have a coffee with breakfast this morning, and I was craving one. I was grocery shopping with both kids by myself, and was seeking a quick source of pleasure.

The coffee tasted good, but I'm embarrassed to admit having made the purchase in the first place. It's another example of how places like CVS, Stop and Stop, and Dunkin' Donuts - which on are on every corner here in New England - govern our actions and behavior.

No comments: