Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Women singers

It occurred to me that, generally, I don't listen to women singers very much. This realization came when I shuffled my mp3 player and hit about two female musicians. This is unintentional. But I think there are more men music artists than female artists, no?

Anyway, there are some females who I can stand performing. Some, I actually like.

Top 10.

1. Norah Jones
2. Sheryl Crow
3. Dido
4. Carole King
5. Bonnie Raitt
6. Alicia Keys
7. ABBA (half-girl)
8. Faith Hill
9. Anita Baker
10. Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs

As for female singers I REALLY dislike.

1. Madonna
2. Cyndi Lauper
3. Britney Spears
4. Melissa Etheridge
5. Alanis Morrisette
6. The Wilson Sisters (Is that their name?)
7. Heart
8. Stevie Nicks
9. Any American Idol woman singer
10. Michael Jackson

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I haven't checked in here more religiously, Dave, but, well...ok, no excuses. I'll admit I hadn't thought of it. However, today I checked in and saw that you've been VERY busy. Even though I could comment on a couple of your earlier blogs (for example, the T-shirt one and the poetry book you HAVE to write), I'm choosing to comment on your most recent.
It really struck a chord with me, because I have often reflected on exactly the same thing. I do have some favorite female singers - Anne Murray, Barbra Streisand (some of her stuff), JoDee Messina (you probably don't even know who she is, but I was introduced to her music via a free concert a few years ago and love her spunk!), and even Leanne Rimes' earlier work is something that I like. (And I LOVE ABBA because it's fun to sing along with them.) But, when I look at my playlist on my I-pod Nano it is predominantly male singers or groups who have a place there. The mix is pretty eclectic - ranging from oldies to pop to country - but the proof is right there in the scroll; there's a real dearth of female singers. I have no idea why that is, but now I'm feeling really guilty for not being more supportive of the "fairer sex" when it comes to my music selections. It seems to me that Country music has cornered the market on the most female soloists who are successful and well received by men and women. Unfortunately, I play my favorites and rarely venture outside my comfort zone... I promise to become more open-minded from now on out of respect for my gender.

Zig said...

VVhere is Lita Ford, Patty Smyth, Pat Benetar, and Susanna Hoffs?

As a 30 something suburban guy, hovv could you dislike Spears? She keeps us going vvhen times are tough, ya knovv?

You and I are on totally different pages vvhen it comes to female singers.

Good Russert tribute. Tragic. Election night vvill not be vvhat it should be this year. No vvay.

Sorry about the vv's. The letter after v doesn't have a vvorking key on my keyboard, vvater doesn't mix vvell vvith laptops, apparently. So I use 2 v's instead.