Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My vacation

No one needs a vacation more than the person who just had one.” - Unknown

Well, my 11-day vacation is about to expire, so, as is the case with every vacation I will now complain about having to return to work, contemplate changing careers because I'm in a bad mood, and assess whether I did what I said I was going to do over vacation.

On Day 2 or 3 of my vacations, I usually make a list - on paper or in my head - of what I'd like to accomplish during my time off. I guess it seems like the productive thing to do. This vacation was no different, except my wife also gave me a list of things she wanted me to do. This was fine, I thought, as many of these overlapped.

My list looked something like this.

1. Clean out/reorganize the basement (This has been on my list since we moved into this house 4 1/2 years ago)

2. Get new eyeglasses (I have not renewed my prescription nor seen my optometrist in about 4 years)

3. Seal basement window so mice can't get in (This also has been on my list for a while, and, out of pure laziness, I haven't done it)

4. Return bottles that take up half the garage

5. Read

6. Write (Not for this blog)

7. Correct papers

8. Exercise more than once


Usually, I don't accomplish much on my list. I tend to get sidetracked and distracted and I'm a master of avoiding things that aren't pleasurable.

While I did amply procrastinate, I did do a lot on my list. I will address them here.

I will skip number one, for now.

I got new glasses. Instead of going to my regular optometrist, who is in Bristol - too far away - I went to Sam's Club. (see earlier post about my thoughts about this place) I got an appointment in two days, the optometrist was good enough, and I figure I saved at least $100 to $200. I don't like supporting WalMart (which owns Sam's Club), but I got an appointment quickly, and they had the best frames I could find.

I did not seal the basement window. Rather, I set up 7 mouse traps - four in the basement, three in the attic. I thought this would help control our rodent problem. Except the mice are smart enough to eat the peanut butter I spread without disengaging the metal bar that's supposed to kill them. So now I have to get better traps. I can't say I didn't at least try on this one.

I did return a garageful of bottles - to a redemption center in Manchester. I usually go to Stop and Shop, where it takes two hours from start to finish. But I learned that this place, affiliated with the state, also takes bottles and cans in bulk. When I arrived there - the place is a pit - I was happy to see there were no machines I could jam. The only problem is that you have to organize the beer by brand. This took awhile, even though I drink mostly Sam Adams. ( I even separated Coors Light, which my BROTHER IN LAW drinks.) In the end, I got $21, enough to buy only one case of beer. I am starting to think it is not worth redeeming bottles, but instead to recycle them. Plus, traveling with almost 500 bottles in my car made me feel like a serious alcoholic.

I read a little. I just started a book Complications, by Atul Gawande, a surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital and a Harvard Medical School professor. His book is about the realities of being a surgeon. He talks of medicine as an imprecise science, full of a lot of guesswork. The book reads well. It should; he's also a contributor to the New Yorker.

I need to correct more papers tonight. I have 10 left, and I figure I need about 45 minutes to an hour.

I ran on the treadmill twice, so that qualifies as meeting that exercise goal, barely.

As for cleaning the basement, you would guess correctly if you said I didn't clean it. (Hey, I wanted to have something on my list for my next vacation!)

For some insights about my tendency to procrastinate, read this column in the Boston Globe from a few years ago:

http://www.boston.com/jobs/globe/view_cube/archive/091805.shtml
(Need to scroll down on the webpage to see.)

2 comments:

DCL said...

I bet $19 of your refund was from the Coors Lights, you rock

claude said...

Claude said

As an observer your priorities are just fine. Spending precious time with wife,son and daughter what better and most productive,

Kepp up the good work!